There are several fourth and fifth generation families still living in Goodbee. One of our initiatives is to speak to some of these families and document as much history about the area as we can before it's lost to time.
Goodbee was known for timber, raising cattle, farming and rice fields. Hwy 1077, known as Turnpike Rd when it was built in 1847 was original called "Kentucky Road" as it was traveled by the men who floated down the Mississippi River on rafts and then started their journey back home.
History about it here >>>> This page is under construction.
Closed in 1954, Goodbee Post Office. INFO
The Goodbee train depot in 1916. Prior to the train all livestock and produce from the Goodbee area had to be brought to Madisonville or Covington to be shipped by boat. In later years this line became the ICG pulpwood train line and the Bennett family owned the wood scales and wood yard for the train.
One of St. Tammany's oldest roads, known today as The Turnpike, runs northward from Madisonville. Click Here for the rest of the story.
Aerial Image from 1975 - Click Here
Check back again later